Monday, October 6, 2008

OK here is the story. I was attempting to write it last night but got too tired and gave up. So I went into work on Friday which is always a good time. I miss being around my coworkers. So it is good to get my fix for the week. Actually they are pretty much the funniest group of people you could be around. We have a lot of fun together. Anyway, we have this coworker Bruce (who is from China) who use to work at our office but then moved to Atlanta and now works for the company from home just like me. Since I don't talk to him much and we were altogether we decided to give him a call (plus I heard some things and wanted to see if it was true). Bruce has a little baby girl named Alexis and she is a little over a year old. I was asking how she was; to make a long story short he told me that she was potty trained at the age of 6 months. I thought that was crazy and didn't really believe it but then he went into great detail about how she was 80% accurate and so on. Then he asked me about Kennedy's potty training and I told him that she wasn't potty trained and he was SHOCKED!!! He didn't understand why not. He then informed me that a little potty is very affordable only $20-$30 and basically said that I really need to get one. So I guess I really need to step up my parenting skills. Plus, I believe that the Chinese are extrememly smart so maybe us Americans should get our act together.

3 comments:

My name is Andrea said...

You could try to make her be potty trained and 50% of the time be cleaning up pee and poop or you could just wait unti she is 2 and not have to deal with poop in the panties. It's more disgusting in underwear than in a diaper...

robbienmeri said...

They have had tons of stories about potty training your baby from 3 months and on on the Today show. It's a bunch of crap. They people that support it argue that it bonds the baby and mother, which no studies have been done to support, and that obviously it is good for the environment - no diapers. Pediatricians basically said that reading is a great way to bond with your child. They also said, and even the supporters that the child isn't potty trained. At 2 years old they still have to potty train the same as everyone else. They actually call it elimination communication. The parents watch for visual cues that their child is about to eliminate and then takes their child to the toilet. A child cannot physically control their elimination until 18 months of age. If they don't have control, they can't be potty trained. Any pediatrician and everything I have read about potty training since I have done it already with one child, says they are not ready until they have a dry diaper during naps and can pull their own pants up and down. If they are going to go to the bathroom, something they initiate, not the parent, then they need to be able to do that. I personally prefer the reading method to bonding with my child and I'm not that big of a tree hugger to spend 20% of my time cleaning up a mess. Let's just say, would you want to sit on Bruce's carpet and furniture after learning this? So, I guess what I'm saying is you might just still be the best mother in the world... ;)

Rick said...

I actually shat a little in my pants when it read; potty trained at the age of 6 months. Then, to make it worse you said '...the Chinese are really smart..Americans should get our acts together.' At that point-I shat A LOT. looks like I could use a little remedial training myself!
(P.S. Juney could not be less interested in using the toilet, she prefers to be alone in the corner to poo, and points at her diaper and says pee when she pees.)